I first made these little puddings when I was quite young and have made them many times since. They are simple to do and their sweet butteryness is always a hit at the table. The recipe serves 4-5 depending on the size of your cups/ramekins. I use those little microwavable plastic pots you get when you buy steamed puddings in the supermarket and they work a treat. Give them a go and let me know what you think!
Golden carrot puddings (Serves 4-5)
4-5 tbsp golden syrup
60g cold butter
1 ⅓ cups grated carrot
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup sugar
⅔ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
½ tsp mixed spice
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg lightly beaten
⅓ cup oil (vegetable or sunflower is fine)
- Lightly grease 4 microwave safe cups or ramekins with oil.
- Put a table spoon of golden syrup into each cup and a piece of butter on top of it.
- Put the carrot, sugar and nuts in a bowl and sift the flour, spice and cinnamon over them.
- Add the egg and oil. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cups and smooth the tops over with a spoon.
- Cook on a medium/high heat in the microwave for 6 minutes. (If you are cooking the puddings individually, microwave for 1 ½ – 2 mins)
- Leave to cool a little for 3 minutes and then turn out the puddings into bowls.
Serve the puddings on their own or drizzle them with cream or custard.