This Christmas Santa brought me Muffins Galore, a recipe collection by Catherine Atkinson that is full of fresh ideas and experimental ingredients. I don’t usually bake all that much, but this book definitely provides an incentive! I decided to use it for the first time this weekend… from Chocolate Chip Crumble, to Cinnamon-Spiced Courgette and Special Diet muffins, there were so many options to choose from. Feeling in a savoury mood I opted for Sausage & Cheese and they were really quite satisfying!
Sausage and cheese muffins (makes 12)
225g good-quality pork sausagemeat
1 small onion, grated
300g plain flour
2 tbsp caster caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
50g melted butter
50g grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190ᵒ/Gas mark 5 and grease a muffin tin or line it with paper muffin cases.
- Fry the sausagemeat over a high heat for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. As you cook it use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into crumbs.
- Once cooked, remove the sausagemeat from the pan and fry the onion until softened in the same pan.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in one bowl and in another mix the milk, egg and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients along with the fried sausagemeat, onions and grated cheese into the bowl of dry ingredients and gently bind together. Only stir the mixture until it has all been incorporated as over mixing may give your muffins unwanted air pockets. (It will probably be quite a sticky and stringy mixture.)
- Share the batter between the muffin cups and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until risen and golden.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Why not make a batch of these muffins next weekend to enjoy at work as a savoury snack? Muffins freeze well so you can put them away and take one out each day or whenever you fancy.