Sometimes I get home in the evening and want something quick for dinner, but I don’t want to compromise on the standard of my food. Since having lived in Italy for a year, gnocchi has become one of my favourite hassle free meals and I love trying it with all sorts of different ingredients.
I often have a poached egg with gnocchi but this week I introduced artichokes. They gave the dish a real punch and I definitely recommend giving this recipe a try. It is so quick and effortless and you end up with something really quite nice.
Gnocchi with egg and artichokes (serves 2)
Artichoke hearts (in oil)
A handful of torn basil leaves
50g parmesan cheese (grated)
- Bring two pans of water to the boil. In the first, poach the two eggs by whichever method you prefer.
- Add a pinch of salt to the second pan and cook the gnocchi for a few minutes until they rise to the surface. They can then be removed and drained.
- Return the empty gnocchi pan to the heat and add a generous helping of olive oil. Then add the drained gnocchi once again and shake the pan until all the gnocchi is coated in the oil. Don’t be afraid to add more oil if necessary.
- Season the gnocchi with salt and pepper and add the parmesan cheese and basil.
- Add as many pieces of artichoke as you fancy, straight from the jar. Artichokes have quite a strong flavour so don’t go overboard!
- Dish the gnocchi out in to bowls and top each portion with a poached egg.