Duck is something I love to order in restaurants but rarely cook at home. When I do I tend to make duck pancakes with hoisin sauce. It is delicious but in all honesty, that’s all I have ever done. So, this evening I thought I would try something a little different. By mixing a few spices and adding a dash of fruity flavour, I ended up with a nice and tasty dish.
Seasoned Duck with Pomegranate and Beetroot Salad (serves 2)
2 duck legs
1 bag of mixed lettuce leaves (or equivalent)
2 cooked beetroot (pickled or not)
8 cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp five spice
½ tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ᵒ/Gas mark 4. Prick the duck legs all over with a fork.
- In an oven proof dish, mix the vinegar, cinnamon, five spice powder, a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of pepper. Add the duck legs to the dish and rub all over with the sauce mixture. Once heated, put the dish of duck into the oven and set the timer for an hour and a half.
- After each half hour that passes, turn the duck and spoon the liquid back over the legs.
- When there is just 30 minutes to go on the cooking time prepare the salad. Divide the lettuce between two plates. Add the chopped beetroot and cherry tomatoes. Scoop the seeds out of the pomegranate and scatter these on top of each salad.
- Once the duck is cooked, place a leg on each of the plates of salad and serve. Drizzle over some olive oil or a salad dressing of your choice if preferred.